After Robert Mortensen's goofy, fun, 2013 Bird of the Year introduction yesterday, we'd like to present the lovely paintings that Andrew Guttenberg did for use in the Bird of the Year program. Above is the portrait that will grace the coming issue of Birding.
Below is the head study Andrew did on which we based the Bird of the Year stickers.
I'll end with a shot of Andrew and me taken just a couple of days ago in Bozeman, Montana, where Andrew lives and attends Montana State University. We had a really fun conversation about these paintings, Common Nighthawks in general, and Andrew's development and plans as a bird artist. Look for that interview here soon.
Thanks, Andrew, for helping us honor the Common Nighthawk in style!
Latest posts by Jeff Gordon (see all)
- New Jersey Audubon Seeks Director for Cape May Bird Observatory - February 23, 2014 8:00
- ABA’s 2014 Bird of the Year Revealed! - January 6, 2014 5:47
- ABA HQ Is Relocating in 2014! Join Us For A Big Announcement This Thursday! - September 7, 2013 3:00
- Ladies and Gentlemen, LIVE from Camp Avocet…Pish & Twitch!!! - August 22, 2013 11:37
- Meet Matt Daw, the Guy Who Found the New Mexico Rufous-necked Wood-Rail - July 9, 2013 2:00