It has happened to every birder at one point or another. A great bird is seen, maybe even a lifer, and in the wake of the initial euphoria a single question is posed.
“Is it countable?”
Thankfully for those birders not interested in wading through the official rules on countability, Nick Lund of the irreverent birding blog The Birdist has created the ultimate flowchart that every birder who has ever asked that question, or even those who haven’t, should have a look at.
If your quandry has not yet been settled, you’ll need to head over to The Birdist for the resolution.
It’s well, well worth your time.
Latest posts by Nate Swick (see all)
- Blog Birding #208 - October 20, 2014 8:00
- Open Mic: A New World Big Day Record – 354 Species! - October 18, 2014 8:00
- Rare Bird Alert: October 17, 2014 - October 17, 2014 8:00
- The ABA Survey, Help the ABA Better Serve Birders! - October 15, 2014 12:00
- A week on St. Paul, An ABA Rarity Hunt Roundup - October 14, 2014 8:00