After my last post about the Blue-footed Boobies (Code 4) in California, the northward momentum of the invasion seemed to fizzle out. They made it as far north as Sonoma County and seemed to be poised to continue moving north, but then..nothing. Well, not entirely nothing: on Sep 24 while leading a whalewatching cruise, Kyle Howard and Captain Geoff found a Blue-footed Booby near Stubbs Island, north of Telegraph Cove on the north side of Vancouver Island.
Other than a sight report that was not accepted, this is the first record for British Columbia. Not surprisingly, it’s also a first for all of Canada. Since then, there have been no additional sightings from British Columbia, Washington, Oregon, or northern California. This one is a real outlier.
Latest posts by John Puschock (see all)
- Rare Bird Alert: January 31, 2014 - January 31, 2014 8:00
- #ABArare – Crimson-collared Grosbeak – Texas - January 20, 2014 2:47
- #ABArare – Common Snipe – Newfoundland - January 13, 2014 12:16
- #ABArare – Little Bunting – California - December 13, 2013 6:31
- #ABArare – Ross’s Gull – Iowa - December 2, 2013 8:29