The March/April 2014 Birding has gone to press, and ABA members will soon be receiving–along with a lot of other content–Tom Johnson’s analysis of a most interesting hummingbird found a while back in Delaware. Here’s the hummingbird:
And now the obvious question: What is it?
You can find the answer–sort of–by googling it. But you can also go off on a wild goose chase by googling it. So let’s do something that Tom in his article exhorts us to do. Let’s wipe the slate clean, and approach this interesting hummingbird with fresh new eyes.
A key first step in bird identification is knowing where you are and what the date is. We know that this bird is from Delaware. And the date of the photo is early April. So, right off the bat, we’re dealing with something notable.
Your turn! What IS this bird?
Latest posts by Ted Floyd (see all)
- Birding Photo Quiz: February 2017 - February 4, 2017 8:00
- eBird Has Taken Over My Life. It’s All Good. - December 31, 2016 8:00
- Photo Quiz: December 2016 Birding - December 6, 2016 8:00
- One Touch of Nature - November 30, 2016 1:32
- ICYMI: Bird Records Committees: A Modest Proposal - November 29, 2016 8:00