The March/April 2014 Birding has gone to press, and ABA members will soon be receiving–along with a lot of other content–Tom Johnson’s analysis of a most interesting hummingbird found a while back in Delaware. Here’s the hummingbird:
And now the obvious question: What is it?
You can find the answer–sort of–by googling it. But you can also go off on a wild goose chase by googling it. So let’s do something that Tom in his article exhorts us to do. Let’s wipe the slate clean, and approach this interesting hummingbird with fresh new eyes.
A key first step in bird identification is knowing where you are and what the date is. We know that this bird is from Delaware. And the date of the photo is early April. So, right off the bat, we’re dealing with something notable.
Your turn! What IS this bird?
Latest posts by Ted Floyd (see all)
- That Was So Fun, Let’s Do It Again - December 17, 2015 8:00
- Photo Quiz: December 2015 Birding - December 14, 2015 8:00
- Refuge: Thoughts on Birding at Bon Secour - December 12, 2015 8:00
- I’m Losing My Hearing, Part 3: Life is Good - November 19, 2015 8:00
- I’m Losing My Hearing, Part 2: Keep Calm and Get Help - November 18, 2015 8:00